Requirements for Becoming a Foster Parent in Michigan
- Work with the child’s birth parents
- Be supportive of efforts to return the child home
- Work with children who may have significant emotional and behavioral challenges
- Encourage teens toward independent living
- Provide three acceptable references
- Attend training pertinent to foster care issues
Can I Be a Foster Parent?
Is there an age limit?
A Wellspring foster parent must be at least 18 years old. There is no upper age limit.
Foster Care Training
Wellspring is committed to excellence, which means training is an important part of everything we do. Not only do we hire highly trained social workers, but we believe ongoing education for our foster parents is the key to success. Outside of the required training to become a licensed foster parent in Michigan, we also provide a wide variety of resources that are available to you throughout the year.
Wellspring makes this easy and accessible for you, because not all days are 8-5. We have a customized foster parent-friendly online portal that is available whenever you are. This is a central location where you can go online and access all of the information you need – when you need it. If the materials and training aren’t enough, we always have a way for you to contact us so your questions can be answered.